« Home | UPDATE: When someone tells you you look like someo... » | Hurricane Katrina » | When someone tells you you look like someone famou... » | Because I care... » | Riding on the Wheels of Change Part 2 » | Riding on the wheels of change » | An Insight to Men » | Of Kiefers and Stevens... » | On the lighter side » | Rock & Roll »

Who should you date? Consider this...

A few of you who know me have heard me talk about this for awhile; last night while talking with one of you, I figured it would be good to get it out there and documented that it is an original thought by yours truly -- much like my belt-bracelet that I created years ago which I just saw at American Eagle the other day.

Centuries ago, they way people decided whom to date and marry was based soley on the class that you were born into. For the most part, the wealthy married the wealthy, the middle class married the middle class, and the poor married the poor. There were reasons for this, namely because there was value associated with which class you belonged to and therefore different humans carried different values. This was pretty standard, however, there were exceptions here and there, but not enough to ruin my analogy.

With the realization that "all men (and women) are created equal" people stopped caring SO MUCH about what class someone was apart of, and instead cared more about what "league" they were in. No more was it your true value that determined who you could and could not marry, but it became your assumed value, or subjective value. From that time until just recently, men and women would date who they like, but would really only consider those people who where within their league. You would hear guys talk about a girl, but they wouldn't pursue her because she was "out of his league." Or the girls not stooping to go out with so-and-so because he was below their league. The league someone was in was based on several factors. A few of those being looks, education, and wealth. These factors were pretty easily deducted from the clothes someone wore, or the car they drove or the type of residence they lived in.

These days you no longer her about this distinction of classification. There is a new way to determine which group of people you should consider finding a mate in. This was revealed to me as a great friend of mine started dating his current girlfriend. The conversation when something like this:

[ring] [ring] FRIEND answers phone and speaks with the Significant Other for several minutes.
ME: Wow, that is the 4th time she has called since we have been hanging out today. Don't you think that is a little much?
FRIEND: Much? No, there is never too much.
ME: I suppose that is true, you two seem like you really like her.
FRIEND: Yup. In fact we spend almost every night talking for hours on the phone.
ME: Really? Wow! How many minutes do you have on your cell phone plan?
FRIEND: Only 400.
ME: doesn't that get expensive then? Or are you worried about going over?
FRIEND: Not at all, we both use Sprint and mobile to mobile is free.

There is was; those five words were a revelation: mobile to mobile is free. My friend couldn't figure out the look on my face, but he did see the light-bulb above my head turn on. Suddenly it all made sense. No longer will we be dating within our class, or our league, but within our wireless provider. Questions like "What's your sign?" and "Do you come here often?" will be replaced with "Who's your cell phone provider?" and "What time do your 'Nights & Weekends' start?"

So, next time you are thinking about dating someone or are interested in asking some one out, do a bit of reconnaissance to find out what cell phone provider they use. It would be tragic to have to break up with someone because they are costing you $65.78 in cell phone overage charges a month.

For another take on cell phones and dating, check out Ring, Ring! It's Your Soul Mate

LOL, yeah, I like that :)

I wasn't quite sure where you were going with this, but it turned out to be pretty funny. Sad but true -- my brother won't even talk to me on the phone until after 9 because we're not using the same wireless phone company. Ridiculous.

my question is...what if you don't have a cell phone? that could really put a damper on ever getting a date with this philosophy...

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm supermn
  • From Colorado, United States
  • I am a Colorado native. For my entire life I have lived in this state. Born in Fort Collins, grew up in Colorado Springs, college in Fort Collins, and currently in Colorado Springs.
My profile
Powered by Blogger