« Home | More Professor S » | A Couple Thoughts » | ...a little explaining » | Adventures in Afghanistan » | _tag You're It » | Professor S » | Work Schmerk » | Intro... »

God is Good

What a day! I originally got up this morning planning to post about how the teacher orientation at the college went last night. Things have changed, but I will run down last night just to cover it.

I got to the orientation a little early last night to get some food, meet some people, and socialize. I got there in time for some pizza, soda, and oreos. I sat next to the only other young person there. This guy was 24 and I think we were the only ones under 40 in the whole room. It was full of both math teachers and technology/computer teachers. Two-thirds was the former and only one third of us were technology people (geeks). It was overwhelming, yet very exciting at the same time. The first half of the meeting was all of us getting told not to cancel class, how to access our email (ryan.schierholz@ppcc.edu, how cool is that!), and how to post grades and no-shows. It was really interesting learning all the politics and ins and outs of the education world. Fun times.
We then split off; math stayed there and geeks to the computer room. Everything for the college is super streamlined for the 21st century. All our resources, homeworks, quizzes, tests, etc are all online. (They are headed more in that direction because they said half of the college's budget last year went to printing expenses. HALF!) They use a program called Blackboard (makes sense), and it is quite amazing, I can fill in more on that later. They just gave us an overview on that a bit and then let us go. We have a training session all day Saturday to learn the program better... I will probably go. Anyway, so everyone else is teaching throughout the 15 week semester and teaching Office 2003; I found out I would be teaching Office XP and still doing the 4 weekends in October. No big deal, still be fun.

All that changed this morning when I got a call from the head of the department. She left a message saying she needed someone to teach a class Tuesdays and Thursdays at night at the Rampart Range Campus (RRC) and she wanted me to do it since she didn't think the class I was originally lined up to teach would fill up enough. This was super exciting news because just last night I told my mom I hoped to (next semester), teach a class more spread out and on the RRC! What an answer to prayer! Instead of having 6 weeks to prepare, now I only have 6 days!

Jesse and I went up to the RRC today to check out my classroom (I have my own key to it and the office), and get a feel for the layout and such. That was quite the experience. I pretended like I had a full class room and wrote my name on the board. The minute I did that, there was some weird throw back to all the times I was watching the professor write THEIR name on the board. These are fun and exciting and scary times.

I pick up my book and syllabus tomorrow to start preparing for classes on TUESDAY! I can still use your prayers to do well. Thanks

Ciao

About me

  • I'm supermn
  • From Colorado, United States
  • I am a Colorado native. For my entire life I have lived in this state. Born in Fort Collins, grew up in Colorado Springs, college in Fort Collins, and currently in Colorado Springs.
My profile
Powered by Blogger