« Home | Day One » | Like, the best day EVER! » | God is Good » | More Professor S » | A Couple Thoughts » | ...a little explaining » | Adventures in Afghanistan » | _tag You're It » | Professor S » | Work Schmerk »

What a Week

Well, this was an interesting week.

I guess it all started Monday when I got a flat tire picking up a friend from the airport. Now, normally a flat tire would be a bummer and ruin a day. I can't say I wasn't bummed, but my excitement about my new jobs was clearly more powerful than the flat tire. I would even go far as to say that the flat tire was a GOOD thing. Now, that might surprise some of you, but let me explain. I needed new tires, especially with winter not too far off. So, getting a flat tire on my day off before I started two new jobs was actually a blessing. Its better that it happened then, when I had free time to get them replaced, than the next morning on my way to my first day of work. That would have left a bad impression on my boss if I wasn't there on day one.

Then the week just got busy. I leave my house at 715 and don't normally get home until at least 9 every night. Tuesday it was straight to the college after work, Wednesday straight the college then church, and Thursday it was the college again. My mom called Thursday morning telling me that my friends brother Mark died in a rock climbing accident on Wednesday in Garden of the Gods (The Garden). That was pretty tragic to hear. I got through the day, made some phone calls to friends and the made plans for the weekend with the Wake and Memorial Service. So, Friday I worked til 5, went home, changed, and went to the Wake to be there for my friend Matt. I thought I would be able to handle myself; if anything I thought it would be easier than the Memorial Service on Saturday. It wasn't. It was so hard to believe that this could happen to a friend, and I tried to realize that what I was feeling was magnified 100 times over with the family. The memorial service today was "great." I say that because it is bitter-sweet. Any death is hard and when you know them its harder. However, since Mark was a Christian, we are assured he is in heaven. This verses from Isaiah 57 help:
The righteous pass away; the godly often die before their time. And no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil to come. For the godly who die will rest in peace.
That is the sweet part about Mark's passing; we know he is safe from evil, in a better place than this world. While it hurts to have him gone, we can continue knowing he is home.

That news and those services capped off a busy and full week. I haven't been able to sleep a lot this week, but that is a minimal concern when I know that every day is a gift. Mark's death brings a realization that we don't know when our time is up. We must be thankful for the days we have as gifts, and use them wisely because they ARE truly blessings.

Thankful,
Ryan

About me

  • I'm supermn
  • From Colorado, United States
  • I am a Colorado native. For my entire life I have lived in this state. Born in Fort Collins, grew up in Colorado Springs, college in Fort Collins, and currently in Colorado Springs.
My profile
Powered by Blogger