« Home | End of the Internet » | This isn't Afghanistan » | What a Week » | Day One » | Like, the best day EVER! » | God is Good » | More Professor S » | A Couple Thoughts » | ...a little explaining » | Adventures in Afghanistan »

FRAT boy

First let me apologize for not keeping my blog up-to-date. I apologize to all two of you: Travis and the other person.

I was never one who did the Greek Life in college. The fraternities and sororities didn't appeal that much to me. My perception of that life was always the obsessive partying, crazy tailgates, and skipping class. While I was not the most ambitious student, I did see the benefit of college and wanted to get the most out of it. The most being a good balance of academia and socializing. I always thought that people in the Greek societies did all of the latter and non of the former. I never really change my perception throughout college because no one I knew broke the stereotype. Still no one has done anything to change that perception of mine, but I am joining a frat.

Most of you (apparently the two that read this) know that I am heading into a bit of high school ministry. The plan was to co-lead a high school small group on Sunday nights and help with the youth group on Wednesday nights. My co-leader could not continue to lead with me, so instead of having a co-ed group of high schoolers, I get to mentor just men... Or boys. The way New Life does this is through what is called The FRAT. It's basically a fraternity; a way for older men to mentor and disciple younger men - a great idea. Earlier I mentioned the program Six (6*). Basically it is made up of The FRAT (for boys), become (for girls), Burn (application only), and The Climb (coed small groups). Tonight is the big kick off where all groups get together to fellowship and have fun and get to know each other; leaders get to know students and students get to know leaders. We are doing a Ho-Down (sp?). Apparently at summer camp there was one and the kids loved it, so I think it should be a great time.

More on the FRAT though. It will meet Sunday nights at 6. The first 45 minutes, all the "brothers" (about 40) will meet together for a teaching. Then we will break off into smaller groups of a bout 10. The different groups will cover different topics, but stuff that's related to the boys. Some days we will do competitions and get them all worked up cause that's what boys do. I am looking forward to being able to pour my life into these boys cause God knows it was good for me when other men did that. Feel free to ask any questions, I'd love you hear from you.

Ciao

Man, you totally scared me when I read the line, 'I'm joining a Frat'. I was about to drive to the other Springs and knock some sense into you. Then I couldn't figure out what kind of frat would take postgrads, unless you were taking grad classes. I was all confused. But now I get it! FRAT sounds awesome. If you guys ever need a ski weekend in the Springs (here) just let me know. You'll have a free place to stay at the church with a kitchen and shower and they're fixing up the youth room for games and Xboxes and the like. Love ya!
Christa

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm supermn
  • From Colorado, United States
  • I am a Colorado native. For my entire life I have lived in this state. Born in Fort Collins, grew up in Colorado Springs, college in Fort Collins, and currently in Colorado Springs.
My profile
Powered by Blogger