« Home | FRAT boy » | End of the Internet » | This isn't Afghanistan » | What a Week » | Day One » | Like, the best day EVER! » | God is Good » | More Professor S » | A Couple Thoughts » | ...a little explaining »

A Prediction - The Spaces Out There

Well, the teaching college thing is going great. I am loving it, and it feels pretty natural. If all goes well, next semester I'll do it again and maybe pick up another section of the class (could always use the money). I thought I was knowledgeable enough to teach the class, and I still feel that I am but now and again I learn something new. The big thing is not letting on to the class that I just learned it too.

I grew up being around computers quite a bit and felt pretty knowledge about. I was never a master at the art of writing (which I am sure you have figured out if you read my posts). However, I picked up the basics of grammar and formatting for papers, especially with computers. I was always taught where to put periods, commas, and other punctuation. While I struggle sometimes with when square brackets are appropriate or making sure I use the colon right, I always knew I had mastered the space. I knew when where and how many to use. One between words, two between sentences, and new lines for new paragraphs. Apparently now that is wrong! I learned last week that instead of using two spaces between sentences (like I have been doing this whole post because of habit), the correct way to do it now is to use one. Like that, just there. One space. Just as I am typing this, I can't keep my thumbs from tapping the space bar twice after my ring finger hits the periods. SEE! space space. Ahhhh! Now the question is why? Why would the change it from two spaces to one space?

This takes me to my prediction. Just as we had tree huggers in the 90s to save paper and "save the trees" and make us aware of how we need to be conscious of the environment, I think we will see similar people in the 21st century. With the increased use of technology and number of people getting on the internet, we will see "data huggers" coming out of nowhere. The only conceivable reason to go from two spaces to one is to make files smaller. I don't know how much of a difference it makes; maybe it makes enough of a difference to change. It's not changing because we have less and less space on computers; quite the opposite, we have hard drives with 250 GB of storage space and HVDs (Holographic versatile Discs) that hold 1TB (TeraByte - a thousand GBs) of data! I think it's because we are becoming an online society. A place where everyone has a computer, communicates over email and IM, and rarely use paper anymore. If more and more people start using the internet, the bandwidth will be come clogged. In order to be more techno-conscious, and save data, we need to eliminate a space. Could one space really be that much of a waste? Interesting question. Maybe I'll do a thesis on it for my masters degree. Something to think about, but just in spite of the new "standard," I am going to use a space where I shouldn't .

Ciao.

The new picture does look cool, although you look like you're wearing one of those jewish caps - in orange.
:)Christa

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm supermn
  • From Colorado, United States
  • I am a Colorado native. For my entire life I have lived in this state. Born in Fort Collins, grew up in Colorado Springs, college in Fort Collins, and currently in Colorado Springs.
My profile
Powered by Blogger